@redfromthe6 recently interviewed James Sutton giving his thoughts on the lead up to the game vs Chelsea.
1. Coming on the back of 3-3 draw midweek against Sevilla. Mixed thoughts coming from the fans. What are your expectations for the Reds going in the game vs Chelsea?
I expect Klopp to keep pretty much the same team except I think Lallana might play some part depending on how we fare. I’m reasonably confident we can get 3 points, this isn’t the Chelsea of last season and despite having found some form of late, they’re not imposing themselves on opponents as they have done. Of course, playing at Anfield will make a difference, our record there recently has been decent and the last thing any team wants is to come up against Jurgen’s Schizophrenic Reds.
2. Lallana back in first-team training but still hasn’t made the Match Day squad yet, can you see Klopp bringing him into the squad this weekend?
I think he’ll start on the bench and come up if we need to change something. The second half in Seville was something of a nightmare and I’d imagine there were some tired legs out there. I’d fully expect that if later in the game, we need an injection of creativity through the middle, Lallana will play a part.
3. The back 4 still causing problems at the back. Can you see the Reds coping with the likes of Morata and Hazard?
As much as our defense gets a hammering whenever we conceded, our record hasn’t been As bad of late. I think it’s as much to do with our midfield as it is our defense. If we’re going to play with a DM and have wide players pushing up, that DM (Henderson) needs to protect his back line better. For all the talk of Moreno doing more mental Moreno things last week in Spain, he’s been improved of late but Chelsea is a different proposition. They’ll have Kante pulling the strings in the middle (lovely player) but we’ve got to keep Hazard busy. He’s the key for them. Far better to cut off any service to him and make him drop deeper, again this comes down to our midfield more.
4. How can you see the Reds lining up on the weekend?
Same team as Seville assuming everyone’s fit. Otherwise, Gomez gets swapped out and maybe Gini for Lallana (if fit).
5. Mohamed Salah proving to be the bargain of the summer transfer window. 9 goals in the league and Top Scorer. How many more goals can you see him getting?
Assuming he doesn’t get injured, he’ll bag 18/19 I reckon.
6. Finally James, apart from the likes of Van Dijk, if you could improve any other position in the team. Who would you bring into the squad in January?
I’d certainly be looking at an out and out striker, for all the talk of our strength up front, and they are exceptional players, we haven’t been as clinical as we should have been. I still think we’re going to need a LB too. In the summer I’d be looking to get a goalkeeper and a new defensive mid. See if Henderson fancies moving further up the pitch and if he doesn’t, bin him.
Thanks to James for taking his time out for the interview. You can follow him @Thejamesutton on Twitter.